Associate Dean for Asia and Europe
PhD, City University of New York
Areas of Expertise:Chinese Firms' Global Strategies, Entrepreneurship and Innovation, M&A, Strategic Alliances, Strategic Management
Teng Bingsheng is Professor of Strategic Management at CKGSB and the Associate Dean for CKGSB Europe and Asia. He formerly served as a tenured Professor of Strategic Management at George Washington University (GWU), where he was a doctoral advisor and lead professor of the departmental doctoral program.
- Global Programs
Teng has published over 20 articles in academic journals including Academy of Management Review and Organization Science. His research is included in most textbooks on strategic management.
An authority on strategic alliances, he has been interviewed by media such as The Wall Street Journal and The Washington Post.
Teng is a member of the Academy of Management and serves on the editorial board of International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal. He has received many awards for his research, including the Wendell and Louis Crain Research Scholar at the GWU School of Business. His biography appears in Who’s Who in America and Who’s Who in American Higher Education.
- Uber: Leader of the Sharing Economy, 2015
- LeTV Ecology: Related Diversification?, 2015
- Suning Cloud Commerce Online to Offline Integration, 2016
- URWork: Layout and Practices of a Shared Offices, 2016
- Wanda Group Strategic Transformation: Where Next at 30?, 2018
- “Strategic Alliance Termination and Performance: The Role of Task Complexity, Nationality, and Experience”, with McCutchen, W. W. Jr., Swamidass, P. M., Journal of High Technology Management Research, vol. 18(2), 2008.
- “Governance Structure Choice in Strategic Alliances: The Roles of Alliance Objectives, Alliance Management Experience, and International Partners”, with Das, T.K., Management Decision, vol. 45, 2008.
- Teng, B. 2007. “Corporate Entrepreneurship Activities through Strategic Alliances: A Resource-based Approach toward Competitive Advantage.” Journal of Management Studies, 44(1): 119-142.
- Teng, B. 2007. “Managing Intellectual Property in R&D Alliances.”International Journal of Technology Management, 38(1/2): 160-177.
- Cummings, J.L., & Teng, B. 2006. “The Keys to Successful Knowledge-sharing.” Journal of General Management, 31(4): 1-18.
- Teng, B. 2005. “The Emergence and Popularization of Strategic Alliances: Institutional and Entrepreneurial Views.”International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, 1: 61-82.
- Teng, B. 2004. “The WTO and Entry Modes in China.” Thunderbird International Business Review, 46: 381-400.
- McCutchen, W. W. Jr., Swamidass, P. M., & Teng, B. 2004. “R&D Risk-taking in Strategic Alliances: New Explanations for R&D Alliances in the Biopharmaceutical Industry.” Management International Review, 44(1): 53-67.
- Teng, B. 2003. “Collaborative Advantage of Strategic Alliances: Value Creation in the Value Net.” Journal of General Management, 29(2): 1-22.
- Cummings, J. L., & Teng, B. 2003. “Transferring R&D Knowledge: The Key Factors Affecting Knowledge Transfer Success.” Journal of Engineering and Technology Management, 20(1-2): 39-68.
- Das, T. K., & Teng, B. 2002. “Alliance Constellations: A Social Exchange Perspective.” Academy of Management Review, 27: 445-456.
- Teng, B., & Cummings, J. L. 2002. “Trade-offs in Managing Resources and Capabilities.” Academy of Management Executive, 16(2): 81-91.
- Das, T. K., & Teng, B. 2002. “The Dynamics of Alliance Conditions in the Alliance Development Process.” Journal of Management Studies, 39: 725-746.
- Das, T. K., & Teng, B. 2001. “Trust, Control, and Risk in Strategic Alliances: An Integrated Framework.” Organization Studies, 22: 251-283.
- Das, T. K., & Teng, B. 2001. “Strategic Risk Behavior and Its Temporalities: Between Risk Propensity and Decision Context.” Journal of Management Studies, 38: 515-534.
- Das, T. K., & Teng, B. 2000. “A Resource-based Theory of Strategic Alliances.” Journal of Management, 26: 31-61.
- Das, T. K., & Teng, B. 2000. “Instabilities of Strategic Alliances: An Internal Tensions Perspective.” Organization Science, 11: 77-101.
- Das, T. K., & Teng, B. 1999. “Managing Risks in Strategic Alliances.” Academy of Management Executive, 13(4): 50-62.
- Das, T. K., & Teng, B. 1998. “Between Trust and Control: Developing Confidence in Partner Cooperation in Alliances.”Academy of Management Review, 23: 491-512.