PhD, Carnegie Mellon University
Areas of Expertise:Marketing
Joined the University of Maryland in 2011.
Liye Ma teaches the undergraduate Marketing Research Methods class and the Data Science class in the MS Marketing Analytics program. His research focuses on the dynamic interactions of firms and consumers on Internet, social media, and mobile platforms. His work has been published in various journals including Marketing Science, Journal of Marketing Research, Management Science, and Information Systems Research. He joined the Marketing Department in Fall 2011 after obtaining the Ph.D. degree from the Tepper School of Business at Carnegie Mellon University.
- Marketing Science Institute Young Scholar, 2017.
- Finalist, John D.C. Little Best Paper Award, INFORMS, 2016.
- William W. Cooper Doctoral Dissertation Award in Management or Management Science, Carnegie Mellon University, 2011.
- Michael Trusov, Liye Ma and Zainab Jamal, (2016), “Crumbs of the Cookie: User Profiling in Customer-Base Analysis and Behavioral Targeting,” Marketing Science Special Issue on Big Data, Vol. 35, No. 3, pp. 405-426.
- Liye Ma, Baohong Sun and Sunder Kekre, (2015), “The Squeaky Wheel Gets the Grease – An Empirical Analysis of Customer Voice and Firm Intervention on Twitter,” Marketing Science, Vol. 34, No. 5, pp. 627-645.
- Liye Ma, Ramayya Krishnan and Alan Montgomery, (2015), “Latent Homophily or Social Influence? An Empirical Analysis of Purchase within a Social Network,” Management Science, 61(2) 454-473
- Kinshuk Jerath, Liye Ma, and Young-Hoon Park, (2014), “Consumer Click Behavior at a Search Engine: The Role of Keyword Popularity,” Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 51, No. 4, pp. 480-486.
- Liye Ma, Alan Montgomery, Param Vir Singh, and Michael Smith, (2014), “An Empirical Analysis of the Impact of Pre-Release Movie Piracy on Box-Office Revenue,” Information Systems Research, 25(3), 590-603.
- S. Sriram, Puneet Manchanda, Mercedes Esteban Bravo, Junhong Chu, Liye Ma, Minjae Song, Scott Shriver, and Upender Subramanian, (2014), “Platforms: a multiplicity of research opportunities,” Marketing Letters, 26(2), 141-152.
- Kinshuk Jerath, Liye Ma, Young-Hoon Park and Kannan Srinivasan, (2011), “A ‘Position Paradox’ in Sponsored Search Auctions,” Marketing Science, 30(4), 612-627.