PhD, University of Pennsylvania
Areas of Expertise:Behavioral Strategy, Decision Making for Managers, Discovery of Strategic Opportunities, Moneyball Strategies, Network Structure and Firm Performance, Strategic Negotiations
Dr. Christina Fang is a Professor of Management and earned a PhD in Strategy in 2003 from the Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania in 2003. Before joining CKGSB, Professor Fang taught at New York University.
Building on ideas of learning from a variety of disciplines such as artificial intelligence, behavioral decision making as well as evolutionary theories, Dr Fang studies how firms discover unusual strategic opportunities by thinking differently and innovating dynamically over time. She has published in leading academic journals including Organization Science, Management Science, Strategic Management Journal, Journal of Experimental Psychology and Cognitive Science. She is also one of the founding members of the Behavioral Strategy interest group at the Strategic Management Society.
- English MBA
- Chinese MBA
- Mie Augier, Christina Fang and Violina Rindova. 2018. Behavioral Strategy in Perspective. Advances in Strategic Management. Emerald Group Publishing.
- Christina Fang and Jason Kim. 2018. The Power and Limits of Modularity: A Replication and Reconciliation. Forthcoming. Strategic Management Journal.
- Chengwei Liu, Ivo Vlaev, Christina Fang, Jerker Denrell and Nick Chater. 2017. Strategizing with Behavioral Biases: Engineering Choice Contexts for Better Decisions using Mindspace California Management Review (special issue on Behavioral Strategy and Management Practice). 59(3). 135-161.
- Jerker Denrell, Christina Fang, and Chengwei Liu. 2015. Chance Explanations in Management Sciences. Organization Science. 26(3). 923-940. (Perspective Article).
- Melissa Schilling and Christina Fang. 2014. When Hubs Forget, Lie and Play Favorites: Interpersonal Network Structure, Information Distortion and Organizational Learning. Strategic Management Journal. 35(7), 974–994.
- Christina Fang, Jason Kim and Frances Milliken. 2014. When Bad News is Sugar-coated: The Effect of Withholding Negative Information on Organizational Search and Performance. Strategic Management Journal. 35(8), 1186–1201.
- Christina Fang, Behavioral Strategy. 2013. The Palgrave Encyclopedia of Strategic Management. Palgrave Macmillan UK. Mie Augier, David Teece (Eds).
- Christina Fang. 2013. Theoretical Models of Organizational Learning. Encyclopedia of Management Theory. Sage Publishing. Eric Kessler (Ed).
- Jerker Denrell, Christina Fang and Zhanyun Zhao. 2013. Inferring Superior Capabilities from Sustained Superior Performance: A Bayesian Analysis. Strategic Management Journal. 34 (2), 182–196.
- Christina Fang. 2012. Organizational Learning as Credit Assignment – A Model and Two Experiments. Organization Science. 23(6), 1717-1732.
- Amitav Chakravarti, Christina Fang and Zur Shapira. 2011. Unrelated, Prior Categorizations and Reactions to Change. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning Memory and Cognition. 37(6), 1563–1570.
- Christina Fang, Sari Carp and Zur Shapira. 2011. Prior Divergence: Do researchers and participants share the same prior probability distributions? Cognitive Science. 35, 744–762.
- Jerker Denrell and Christina Fang. 2010. Predicting the Next Big Thing: Success as a Signal of Poor Judgment. Management Science. 56(10), 1653-1667.
- Christina Fang, Jeho Lee and Melissa Schilling. 2010. Balancing Exploration and Exploitation through Structural Design: The Isolation of Subgroups and Organization Learning. Organization Science. 21(3), 625-642.
- Christina Fang and Daniel Levinthal. 2009. The Near Term Liability of Exploitation: Exploration and Exploitation in Multi-Stage Problems. Organization Science. 20(3), 538-551.
- Jerker Denrell, Christina Fang and Daniel Levinthal. 2004. From T-mazes to Labyrinths: Learning from Model-based Feedback. Management Science. 50(10), 1366-1378.
- Jerker Denrell, Christina Fang and Sidney Winter. 2003. The Economics of Strategic Opportunity. Strategic Management Journal. 24(10): 977-990.
- Christina Fang, Steve Kimbrough, Annapurna Valluri, Eric Zheng and Stefano Pace. 2002. On Adaptive Emergence of Trust Behavior in the Game of Stag Hunt. Group Decision and Negotiation. 11:449-467.